Sunday, November 15, 2009

Introducing!...

Lucas Lucien Owens
Born Thursday November 12th 2009 at 1:21pm
7lbs 9oz 19in. long
He's Perfect!

This is our little man! He had a rough arrival but he's finally here! We were anticipating his arrival to come any time all this past week. I went to my weekly check up on Monday and found out that I was 4cm and 80% effaced. I walked out of that appointment thinking that being that far dilated, I could go any time. So I went home and packed my bag and...nothing! Finally though on Wednesday we went into the hospital thinking my water may have broken. I wasn't feeling any painful contractions though so I wasn't sure if I was actually in labor. Once I got to the OB Triage and they checked me they told me I had in fact ruptured and they were admitting me. Hooray!! I was so excited! I really didn't want to be sent home without a baby in my arms. Once they got me in my room at about 6:30pm they hooked me up with Pitocin to get my labor going. My parents came to the hospital and we all waited, and waited...and waited. They kept upping my pitocin and it seemed like my labor just wasn't progressing. It was about 4 in the morning though when I really started to feel the contractions. By 5 they were incredibly worse and right on top of one another. Time for the epidural! After the epidural they checked me again and I was about a 6. I was so disappointed! The amount of pressure I was feeling and since my contractions were so close I thought for sure I was getting really close. At about 8 in the morning a new Dr. came on the shift and decided to really get things going and cranked the pitocin up every 20 minutes since I was still only 6cm. It wasn't helping much so we started tossing the idea out of having a C-Section which I really didn't want to do. She said she'd give me an hour with the pitocin as high as she's willing to let it go and see if it helped. Well it did! I was fully dilated and ready to go at around noon. I pushed through 3 contractions and with each push Lukes heart rate would drop so they let me rest for 45 minutes to see if he would come down on his own. After the break we got right back to pushing and his heart rate would still drop. The Dr. decided to use the forceps to help get him out faster. (That's why his poor little face looks a little beat up). A few more pushes and he was here!
I couldn't describe how it felt to see my son for the first time. It was the most incredible spiritual experience I've ever had. He's such a sweet baby. His little spirit has completely transformed our home and we are so grateful he's here. I have to also mention how wonderful Trent was through the whole labor and delivery and how great he's been ever since. He's Superman! He was so present for me through everything. I don't know how I could have done it without him.

Our First Family Picture! Too bad Mommy looks so exhausted!
Just a few hours old in Daddy's arms

First Day at Home

I'll get more pictures up soon.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats on getting thru the process without a c-section! he's such a cute little man! enjoy him while he's super little....mine is only 2 months old and she's already so grown up!! congrats!!

Kelsey said...

Yayy!! He is perfect Linds, just perfect! We couldn't be happier for you and Trent, it's amazing how much they change your life and like you said how it changes your home! His little cheeks will be adored forever, love you all.

Jamie said...

Congrats! He's beautiful!

lauren said...

oh, i'm so happy for you!! he's perfect and you, of course, were beautiful (i'm sure through it all). :) i can't wait to see him...one day, i hope!

mad white woman said...

Yay! Thank goodness for blogs... I never would've got this level of detail from Jason talking to Trent. :) He looks so much like you, I think.

Katrina said...

Congratulations!! He is so cute!

amber {and co.} said...

Awww, he's adorable, he looks so sweet and peaceful!! Congrats! Sounds like you were a trooper through all that Lindsay, I went through something similar where it took forever to dilate, it's really really frustrating! So glad he's here and I can't wait to hear all about your motherhood experiences! And post lots of pictures please! Congrats, and welcome Luke! ΓΌ

Rach said...

Congrats guys! We are so happy for you!

Kyla said...

Yeah! I am so happy for you guys! I can't wait to meet him! Let me know if I can do anything, any time, since it might get kinda crazy in the next couple weeks.

The Pea said...

Wow, What a trooper! I am so glad you guys did so well. He looks Perfect and you look great!!! I love it when I hear Dads are so good. Joe was like that. You lucked out for sure!!

Eric, Lexi, Reagan & Lakai said...

congratulations! he is so sweet : )

Josh and Tiff said...

He is such a handsome little guy. I am glad you didn't have to have a c-section and that everyone is doing good. This has been quite the week for you guys. Congratulations, I am so happy for you.

benandchayfuller said...

He is so handsome! Congrats mommy and daddy :) Enjoy every minute because they grow so fast!!

Audra Owens said...

Oh he is so cute! And looks like he has a ton of hair! Congratulations and I'm so glad you finally got him out! Your labor sounds like it was pretty scary, I'm glad you didn't have to have a C-section. Too bad we can't meet him till he's 4.5 months old, but what a great playmate he'll be for baby Dale!

Mindy said...

yeah he is here! congrats and i am sure you are enjoying every minute of it. when do you need dinner? i know you have people bringing it in--just let me know when there is an opening. i will go get you and trent in n' out or something you are craving. email or call me!

Mandy Coffey said...

congrats lindsay and trent! when you first said at noon you started pushing i was thinking "gosh didn't she already post that he was born at 1:21? what a long time of pushing!" i'm glad ya got to rest. Glad the anticipation for the wee one paid off ;)

angelcin said...

Hey guys!! Your new little man Luke is a doll baby. What a cute face!!! Aunt Cindy

Rebecca said...

I am soooo happy for you that he is finally here! there is nothing more rewarding and more exhausting than being a mom. congratulations!

Waldron Family said...

Hi there Lindsay! i had tears forming while reading your post. How painful and challenging these times are and yet how sweet and tender also. He has such a sweet baby face. You did a great job! congratulations. love you!