Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Here we go

Teething. I noticed Luke's first tooth creeping in a little over a week ago. He's been so good though. Nothing like I expected a teething baby to act. No fevers. Not at all grouchy but maybe just a little more clingy with me. But seriously he's been a dream as usual. Until yesterday. Poor baby! I could just tell he was not himself. His tooth is still just below the skin and I also noticed tooth number two coming right next to it. He was extra extra clingy and very fussy. And to top it off he would not take a good nap. He normally doesn't give me too much trouble going down for his nap but yesterday he wouldn't sleep unless he was in my arms and even that wouldn't last longer than 20 minutes. The second I laid him down he'd wake up instantly and start to cry. There was nothing more I could but but hold him and give him Tylenol. I feel so helpless! So here's my question to you experienced moms out there. Are there any good teething secrets out there? I can't imagine what teething must be like. There are so many things that babies go through that seems like it would be so overwhelming and confusing. It's probably a good thing they don't remember any of it!

7 comments:

Kelsey said...

I would recommend giving him those rings he can chew on, you stick them in the freezer and then let them play with it. It will numb his gums and bring some comfort to his teething process. Also a big plus is Teething tablets!! YOu can get them at the store and they work wonders, they also help your baby sleep. Hope that helps ya. Teething is no fun but glad he hasn't had a fever for you! That's the worst, or when they are up all night!

Trent & Lindz said...

No fever yet but he was up all night last night. And yeah that's definitly no fun. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to try the tablets. He has the rings but I haven't tried putting them in the freezer yet. I'll do that though.

john:and:aim said...

One word: Anbesol! Rub a little on the sore gum and it works in an instant. Also, I would get a washcloth wet and put in the freezer for a bit - it's good to suck on and helps numb the gums! Good luck :\

Jenessa said...

Madisen and Tanner both did much better when I gave them the Hyland's teething tablets. Good luck.

Kyla said...

Teething tablets didn't work with Aeryn for some reason, but luckily her teeth came about 6-8 at a time. I like to use Ibuprofin if there is no fever because it's an anti inflammatory! I took advantage with the extra snuggle time and laid Aeryn on our bed so she could feel more comfortable... Good luck!

benandchayfuller said...

I second and third the teething tablets!! They worked wonders with Caleb. Anbesol he hated I think because he couldn't feel his gums. It's no fun teething :(

The Griffins said...

I third all that has been said and Raylene tipped me to putting carrots in the freezer and Jenna has loved it! It's hard and cool so very relieving and when she's done it's still whole. Best of luck!