Friday, October 17, 2008

"Called to Serve"

My brother Tyler opened his mission call last night. He was so excited! My mom checked the mail at around 12:00 and saw that his call came. Unfortunatly, Ty was at work and wouldn't get off till 5:00 and so he had "the longest day I've ever had at work" as he put it. Poor guy had to wait another hour after that so that our family and friends could share the moment with him. When it finally came time to open it, we had several of our family members on a conference call, family and frinends gathered around in the kitchen and we all held our breath as he opened the big white envelope. To all of our shock Elder Loomis was called to serve in the Alaska, Anchorage Mission. I'm not sure how this desert dweller will handle the cold weather but I don't think he cares at this point. He's so happy and excited to serve the Lord in Alaska. We're so proud of him!

Picking him up from work. He's ready!!
Once he got home he wouldn't let that call out of his hands!
Let's get this show on the road already!

Hooray Alaska!!!
We are all so proud of him but I don't know if anyone is as proud as our Dad. He was the only child in his family to serve a mission and so to see his first born son follow in his footsteps and set an example for the rest of his brothers is pretty awesome!
Mom's just thrilled that #1 he's staying in the U.S. and #2 that he gets to be home for the holidays :) He reports Jan. 14th She's so proud of her little boy!
Ty and "big" sis (odviously he towers over me!) I'm SO SO SO ecxited for you Ty. You are such an AWESOME brother and you are going to be an even better missionary! We will miss you so much while you're gone for two years but we know this is the best and most important thing you can be doing with your life. So proud of you!!!

12 comments:

Mandy Coffey said...

oh wow yay! How exciting! Tell him congrats for me!!!! Jonathan's brother just got his mission call, to San Diego!!!! He reports the same day as Ty!

Rebecca said...

Yay! tell him i said congrats! you know dallin edwards is on his mission in alaska right? that would be funny if they ended up together or whatever.

The Pea said...

I do not know why but, every time I hear this I burst into tears. I am so happy to see him make this choice. I know it is such a huge step and I am so proud of who he has become. Alaska will be so much the better for him.

A Sharing Heart said...

Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful event with us. I am so happy for Tyler, he will be a great missionary. The pictures are awesome. I have a special spot in my heart for the two of you after all I do have hand and bum prints of both of you. It is one of my treasured gifts.

Unknown said...

Tell him congrats. My brother went to that mission!

Jenessa said...

I am crying again. I am so proud of him. I still can't believe that he is big enough to go on a mission. I still remember my first babysitting job ever watching you tow while your parents went to dinner and a movie. Not to mention all the years after that.

Cristen said...

That pic of your Dad and him made me tear up. I am so excited he will have a Christmas home before he leaves. All the advice I have for him is layer, layer, layer. I hate being cold.

Curtis Heyman said...

Lindshead!

Thx for cyberstalking me. I feel privileged. Yes, Candace and I got married just a week ago and life is great. I actually saw Trent in the temple that day! I didnt have time to talk to him tho for obvious reasons. Anyways, i hope you're well and keep in touch!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

My husband went on his mission to ALASKA! Your brother will come home with Alaska fever, and all he will talk about is how much he wants to go back! My husband LOVED Alaska, and is still completely obsessed with going back. Your bro will LOVE it! Congrats to him!!!!!

Kelsey said...

Tell your Brother congrats for me!! That's such a great opportunity and he will love it!

amber {and co.} said...

whoo hoo! I have a close friend who grew up in Anchorage, they produce some great people! I'm sure he will love it (and hopefully the climate change too!) Congrats Elder!

Waldron Family said...

Lindsay, this is a great post. I was so happy to be able to call in and kind of be there with you guys. These pictures really help me feel more a part of it. Thanks for the great pictures. You're a sweetie. Love ya