Monday, October 27, 2008

Families Can Be Together Forever

This week has been emotionally draining for my family and myself. Losing a loved one is one of the most difficult things to go through but also to watch those you love and care about go through. Wednesday morning after my first class, my husband called me and told me about the passing of his sweet Grandma Rena. She was 77 years young and lived an incredible life and was loved dearly by all who were privileged to know her. Her life was full of ups and downs but she never complained and relied on her Savior Jesus Christ to build her up and help others. She lived a life of service and compassion and will be so missed. The last year and a half have been especially trying on her health. She developed Lou Gehrig's Disease which greatly impaired her quality of life. It was so difficult for us to watch her suffer and so when she passed it was a very bittersweet moment. We are so sad to lose her but relieved to know she is in her perfect state and reunited with her Heavenly Father and loved one's on the other side. We love and will miss you Grandma!
Another tragedy struck this weekend with the passing of Officer Shane Figueroa. The Figueroa's have been friends of mine and my family for the last four or five years. My dad is their bishop in Maricopa. Shane was hit by a drunk driver in his car while responding to a call on duty. To say this was a shock would be an understatement. He was 25 years old. He has a beautiful young wife and a 3 month old little girl. I cannot express the remorse I feel for his family and loved ones. His loss was so tragic and unexpected. I love his family so much and our thoughts and prayers go out to them. It has been a very difficult for me to come to grips with this news and I cannot even imagine the devastation his family is feeling. Life is so fragile.
I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have of Eternal Families. Families can be together forever. How wonderful is that? I know this blessing brings comfort and peace to my husbands family and the Figueroa's. We can be with our loved one's for eternity. We have been taught this principle from a young age but things like this remind us of its truth and promise. This life may seem long to live without them but the eternities are even longer to be with them. Kiss your loved one's. We never know when our time with them may be interrupted.

11 comments:

mad white woman said...

So sorry to hear about Trent's Grandma passing away. Those types of deaths are the epitome of bittersweet.

And how sad about that Officer. I just can't imagine. Those types of tragedies leave me at a total loss of words.

The Pea said...

WoW!! Your words are perfect! When things like this happen you try so hard to make sense of it and there is just no way to do that. I am so grateful for the rock of the gospel. That is the only thing that can get you through this hard life!
Thank you for sharing and hug your hubby for me.

Kelsey said...

It makes you remember to treasure our time with the ones we love! I can't imagine loosing Clark right now or even my grandparents!! I am also glad we have the blessing of eternal families!

Amanda said...

How tragic! What a hard blow for that officer's family! How sad that the little girl will never know her daddy. I can't imagine loosing my husband.

I am sorry about Trent's grandma. I remember when my husband's grandma passed on. She had congestive heart faliure and just kept deteriorating until she died. I remember how haed that was to watch. On one hand you hate to see her suffer but hate for her to leave. I think what you said is perfect. Love the ones you have while you have them.

Kelsey said...

Trent you are a stickler and don't worry only 2 more days and I will take it down. Thanks for nice, relevent, and uplifting comments...

Rach said...

i'm sorry to hear about such a tragedy! although we have the blessing of knowing that families can be together forever, that does not help the pain of losing someone now.

lindsay you are such a great writer and put the exact perfect words in to play. you all are in our prayers.

Caleb said...

very sorry for your losses...it is so hard to keep an eternal persepective. I can't even imagine pain that young woman is in to be a widow so young and with a little one. Thank goodness for temple ordinances!!

Kelsey said...

Time to update your blog trent...I did mine. Looks like you are slipping....

Waldron Family said...

Lindsay, I am sorry to hear this. I loved reading your sweet words and feelings. I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a hug, but since that isn't possible, I am sending hugs through this blog! Take good care.

Jolene Warren said...

Lindz, I am so sorry to hear about your horrible week. My mom (aka: grandma to you) used to say, "when you think life is the worst it can get, look around, someone is always suffering more than you". In other words, I can't imagine the pain and suffering you're experiencing and even further yet, don't even want to think about being that young wife! What an empty feeling she must have right now. I agree, kiss and love on the ones you care about. You just never know what is in your, or other's futures.
Love and miss you guys tons!,
Jolene

A Sharing Heart said...

It is so hard when people you care about pass away. When someone dies I always think about the picture mom, your grandma, has on her wall of the old lady going through the veil and coming into the Saviors arms young and perfect. As you said we are so blessed with our knowledge of eternal life. I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one, it will be lonely here but she will be waiting for all of you with open arms. It is bitter sweet for her but such a tragedy for the family that lost their young son, husband and father my heart goes out to them. So grateful for the blessings of the gospel to get us through this life.