Monday, January 5, 2009

The Best Cousins EVER!

I could seriously argue that I have the BEST family in the world! Both my immediate and extended family are amazing! I really don't know what I did in my premortal life to deserve all of them. Growing up in Vegas I had several of my cousins that lived close by. Of course I've never had any sisters but I think I got something better than a sister of my own. Growing up I had my totally cool totally awesome cousins, Janessa, Cristen, Erin and Brittany. Brittany and I are just about the same age but my other three cousins were all older than we were by a few years. I couldn't have asked for better sisters to cart me around with and teach me more about what a righteous Daughter of God really looks like. They were, and are to this day, gorgeous women on the outside and have a beautiful spirit to match. I looked up to them all so much and can honestly say that I wouldn't be who I am today without they're examples. They loved me and cared for me as they would their own sisters. Brittany has always been a rock in the gospel. I can remember many a sleep over at her house where after staying up till all hours of the night (OK probably 10 at the latest but to us it was SO late!)having fun and when we were finally exhausted and it was time to fall asleep, no matter what, she would pull out her scriptures and read. She was such a great moral beacon and she was never afraid to stand up for what she believed in and what she knew to be true and right. I owe so much of the development of my own testimony of the gospel to her example. It wasn't uncommon to see my sweet parents living righteous lives, but to see someone my age who I admired so much live that was so influential to me. We also really knew how to have a blast! There was never a dull moment when we were together :)
Janessa, Cristen and Erin are actually all sisters so when I was with them I actually felt like I had been adopted by them. I was included in everything they did and they never made me feel like I was a nuisance or a drag to be around. They would even let me go with them on outings with their cool older friends and always introduced us as their "cute cousin Lindsay" or "this is my cool cousin". I felt so special with them. They too were examples of how to live the Gospel in their actions and words. Oh how I wanted to be them! They were, and are still, SO COOL! Brittany and I have soooo many memories of having fun outings and sleep overs with them. We would always go to the nearest blockbuster and rent a fun flick and then go to the nearest convenience store and they would tell us to get whatever we wanted! Of course we would all get a Jones soda cause no night was complete without one and our favorite snack (or two, there were no limits) at the time. They made us feel like rock stars! Another favorite thing for Britt and I to do was to "go shopping" in their closets. We'd get a phone call from one of them saying their closet was getting full and could we come help them out by taking some of their clothes off their hands. Of course we jumped at that opportunity every time because they had the coolest clothes! Again we felt so special and loved. I don't know if they really ever knew how much things like this meant to me. I still look back on those days with the fondest of memories and will never forget how special they made me feel.
We're all grown up now and living our own lives but we still have fun together and love each other. I love those years in Vegas and I love those special sisters of mine!

3 comments:

The Pea said...

Okay, you have me crying begging for just one more of those sleep overs. You guys are our cute cousins, and I feel the same way, I would have never made it through without you guys! We really must have done something in the pre-mortal world to get each other!!

Cristen said...

I love you so much LIndz. I am with Erin I treasure our friendship so much and every good memory I have growing up involves us all. I still quote Steel Magnolias and my in-law family just looks at me, like what did you just say, and I always respond Lindsay, Brittany Erin and Jenessa would get it. We do have the greatest family it makes it so easy to just live life knowing that. We need to all get together when we are old and kids are raised and relive those memories.

Jenessa said...

This is why I hate living so far apart! I just want to come and give you a gigantic hug. You are so sweet and Trent is lucky to have you. I am happy to say that he is doing a great job taking care of our baby Lindsay. Love ya sis and miss you like crazy!!!