Friday, May 30, 2008

Itchy and Scratchy

All my life I have been blessed to be pretty healthy. I have never been allergic to anything and have always felt pretty lucky to not have to worry about whether or not something was going to send me into a reaction. Well I guess Heavenly Father decided it was time for me to experience what that was like (opposition in all things right?). Back in October Trent and I went to conference and a couple days before we left I noticed that certain areas of my skin were kinda itchy but it wasn't anything that serious, just a little itch here and there. I thought it was dry skin. While we were driving out there the itching spread all over my entire body (in between my toes even)! There were never any red patches or bumps either, just itch. It became unbearable and I was scratching so hard that I was giving myself bruises and welts all over my body. It was everything Trent could do to try to keep me comfortable and my poor guy felt so helpless because nothing soothed the pain. As soon as we got back we went to a Dr. who told me that I had come in contact with something that flared an allergic reaction and that I had hives. Fabulous. This lasted for about 4-5weeks. I was so miserable. I had no idea what could have caused it because I hadn't come in contact with anything new! I have always had pretty sensitive skin so all my soaps and lotions are mild and I am consistent with the brand that I use. Unfortunately, hives just go away on their own and though there are a few things you can do to sooth the itch (sort of) you just have to let it run it's course and hope you don't get in again. It may seem silly but I think that might be the most uncomfortable that I have ever been! I still don't know what caused it, the first time at least! Monday afternoon I was plagued with that same unbearable itch. NNNOOOOO!!!! I knew instantly what it was but still saw a Dr. this morning who confirmed that it was the dreaded hives. Yes I have it again. I am pretty positive I know what it's from this time. Trent's Grammie left me the rest of her Gain laundry detergent to finish off. The Dr. said that is the most common detergent to cause allergic reactions. Yeah, Gain hates me. I had no idea it would do this to me and since detergent is expensive and we didn't have any from the move I washed our sheets, bath towels and clothes in the wonderful stuff. Needless to say it's never going to be used in our house again and now I know to just be careful and not stray away from what I already know works for me. I'm rewashing everything in our old brand and praying this goes away soon. Wish me luck! At least I have an idea of what I'm in for this time around. If any of you have had this before and know about a miracle remedy please let me know! So far I've tried Benadryl, a prescription antihistamine, baths in that oatmeal stuff, baths in baking soda, avoiding warm water, creams, lotions.... Anything is worth a shot trying. I am grateful that I know what the source is this time. It's not the worst reaction to have, just a really really annoying and uncomfortable one. Sorry if I've made you all itchy now!

9 comments:

amber {and co.} said...

Lindsey that sucks, cody has really sensitive skin and gets the same thing from certain laundry detergents, the only ones we've found that dont cause rash/hives are Era and All, maybe give those a try instead! As for helping you make it through the itchies, calamine lotion might help, worth a shot! Good luck! :)

mad white woman said...

I wish I had some advice for you because that doesn't sound fun. The only thing I can say is when I was pregnant my belly was all dry, cracked and itchy and I used Cetaphil cream, not just lotion, and it worked great. But if the hives make it itch and it's not just itchy from dry skin, I don't know how that'd work. But it has no perfumes or anything. It was fun seeing you tonight!

Kelsey said...

Hey girlie, sounds horrible and makes me wanna scratch all over! Clark, like Cody, is alergic to detergent so his whole family uses Era! Hopefully when you wash everything it will help and won't cause you more grief!

The Pea said...

I wish I had something to cure you!! That stinks~ At leas you have figured it out!! I will be sending you good thoughts, I really wish I had more!!

Katrina said...

I realized you had a blog when I checked my permission page. You are seriously the cutest couple. Sorry to hear that you aren't having fun right now!

Lo said...

hey, i know i don't really know you but i know trent through caitlin a long time ago and i saw your link on her page... anyway, i have chronic hives and for me what works is zyrtec (which is available over the counter now) and sarna lotion is really good, you can get it at walgreens. i hope this helps!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

here i am scratching my head now! thanks linz!

benandchayfuller said...

Don't worry there is still hope! Ben was the same way and I thought for sure we were going to have a girl because of how badly he wanted a boy. He couldn't stop smiling after we found out.

Rebecca said...

When I was pregnant my body decided to be allergic to Tide... I had never been allergic to anything before and I suddenly broke out in hives all over my body. I took benadryl and went to sleep and when I woke up they were gone.. wierd huh?