Friday, December 19, 2008

Don't Give Me Free Time and a Bad Idea! I Just Might Do It!

So... Trent here! When Lindz and I moved into our place one of the first things that my father suggested was that I build a bridge across this gap from our pot shelves to run my old Lego train on for Christmas time.
So my dad gave me the idea and Wood/Patel was nice enough to give me plenty of free time. And I ran with it! Of course I couldn't just half ace it. I had to make it awesome. Come on I have little brother-in-laws to impress! So first the calculations.
Once I had the equation for the arch of the bridge and the dimensions of the gap I plugged it into the good ol' TI-89 and wah-la! I had my bridge. I took the coordinates from my calculator and plotted them straight to my desk.The sketch might be a little hard to see on the desk. Once I got it all drawn out, I started to build. I made it out of popcicle sticks and hot glue.


You might see to the right that I built a ramp because the pot shelves were not level. Well once I got the train on there it didn't work that great, so I had to build an elevated track for the loop on the lower shelf. Here is the final creation with the train on it. It goes all over the pot shelves. Lindsay loves it! There is an error with the bridge though. Can anyone tell me what it is?

12 comments:

mad white woman said...

That is totally awesome Trent. I'll have Jason tell Wood/Patel thanks for making it possible.

Lindsay, I'm glad you told us about that movie. Last night we were told it's the funniest movie in a long time and we should go see it. For some reason, I trust YOUR judgment though. :)

amber {and co.} said...

Wow Trent, I have to say I'm impressed! Not too shabby... as for the error, it might just be the angle of the picture but it looks like the left side of the base of the bridge is slightly lower than the right? Im no engineer so it's probably not that, but hey its a guess...

amber {and co.} said...

p.s... Cody and I just sold our TI-83 calculators last month because we said that no one actually uses them for more than just basic calculator use after college... thank you for proving us wrong!

Kelsey said...

Pretty impressive Trent!! Hopefully now you won't have too much free time on your hands!

Rach said...

so... i showed this to dave (cuz heaven only knows when he will figure out how to use the blog!) and he said, "That's AWESOME!" oh! and i really need your guys' new address for our holiday cards! i am sending them out super last minute... that is what we get for being in school! thanks!

The Pea said...

I am sure you have impressed those brother in-laws!! And you have impressed this cousin in-law for sure!!

Rach said...

Yeah we'll be in town for a few days.... we'd really like to get together with everyone!

Duncan Family said...

quite impressive. I bet lindsay is soooo excited. miss you guys. i guess we need to take a "walk" someday and come see the train.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

wow trent! that is awesome! i have no idea what the mistake is- it looks fantastic!

linz- send me your email address so I can invite you to a special party I am having on Jan 9th. girls only, but trent will benefit from it!

Jenessa said...

That is awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, your dad, my brother, told me about this and I had to check out your blog to see if you had anything here on it and there it was!!! I want to come to AZ now, just to see this amazing bridge that runs lego trains in your kitchen from one shelf to another! That is so awesome. I have got to show my children! I love you and think it it so nice to be able to keep in touch through things like blogs or facebook. Hope your Christmas was wonderful. love you tons.

Waldron Family said...

Hi Lindsay, I have no idea how that last comment was left by an A-ron W but it must be one of my children messing with my blog address...??? Anyway,it was from me, your auntie Kimmie that left it and this one. :o)
Have a great day! Love you.